PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2005, 08:01
Sharpie

Retired Tiger pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Wamena Tar Flights.

Following on from my previous post concerning the ICBM's, I did a number of DC3 trips to Djayapura-Wamena in May 1971 flying in 44 gallon drums of tar for that airport's upgrade.( Remember the Twin Pioneer wreckage off the western end?)

As has been said, the Indon military provided all the rice-power to load and unload as it was not too long after they took over from the Dutch and did not trust the locals too much.

I recall arriving one morning from Vanimo to find an air of expectancy around the place. Flags, bunting flying, bands playing with everyone in anticipation of some event. We were advised that a 'real heavy' from Jakarta was due to arrive a bit later. Finishing loading we went off to Wamena.

Arriving back some three hours later, a Lockheed Jetstar was on the tarmac and you could sense tension in the air. Armed personal on alert and no sign of joviality as on our first arrival.The ground crew said that during ourt absence, a few West Papua New Guineans had pulled down the Indon flag and tried to run up the Free Papua Movement Flag. I must have read about Hone Heke at Waitangi!) I believe that they were caught and dealt with.

Some years later, I help train a West Papua New Guinean who told me that his brother was shot trying to run-up the Free Papua Flag years earlier. Later on, Nick spoke about stealing a DC3 to use as a bomber and left PNG for Sweden.

BOB WALLER.

Had his own construction company in Hagen and I lived next door to him in 1966 and last saw him at Sir Dennis Buchanan's funeral.

What about the baker. The Great Dane or his German mate (Helmut) from Madang who after a weekend poker game would consume a carton of Champers waiting for the flight to Madang.

Or "Good Morning" Brian Heagney, who could and would consume half a bottle of scotch between Hagen and Lae or on return during a Baron flight. He would always leave Lae so to arrive in Hagen near last light.

Norm Camps. No problem. What about Ron Pringle from the Nebilyer! Ron never wore socks. Bill St. George from the Baiyer, or the American Catholic Father from Ambullua who would ride in on his horse and loved having a few coldies on a hot day with the troops. Des Clancy of 'Clancy's Knob' fame or Ron Neville. Who was the Madang Copper with his 'Tripela Liklik Pig?' Yes. there were a few good men around in the '60's.

I just found the published 'Once A Jolly Chimbu' written by Larry Danielson and artwork by Glennys Koenhke. Do you want the words? I'll one- finger type it.

(07/02/05) It was called ""The Cheerful Chimbu" and the artwork by Glenys Kohnke. mi sori tumas!

Last edited by Sharpie; 7th Mar 2005 at 08:26.