PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nottingham Lynx Ditching
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2005, 07:16
Dancing Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tourist - Yr Pedigree noted and I guess a fair point, 3 guys winching trained by 1 crew winching trained on a gin clear day in flat calm seas, okay no medals earnt!

As difficult as it may or not be to believe there are known Nav difficulties on a Type 42 Destroyer and due to the age of data processing equipment onboard it is not possible to just plug extra kit in. That is a fact.

The very simplified overview of bolt on extras (such as GPS) is a consideration but one which the chart loving navigators "well it was like that in my day" are struggling to come to terms with. All of us in the military know we operate with outdated kit that could easily be improved with COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) alternatives but our lords and masters (namely "Smart Procurement") prevent us from having the gear (wont withstand 4000 deg C or 250 G impact etc etc) by pushing the cost of a COTS item to something that is not justifiable.

The wise man with 20/20 hindsight will be able to see many ways when the BoI reaches it's result for the "Chain of Events" to have been broken in this case, they always can, however the real trick is to get the MoD to buy some relatively cheap kit (in comparisson top the loss of an a/c or even worse any of the crew) to prevent it happenning again. Even then it isn't always infalliable, coming across the Indian Ocean in the late 90's the ship kept increasing the difference between the a/c GPS posn and the Ships GPS Posn, ended up 25 miles out as someone had reset the bridge GPS to a local Indian datum!! Much hilarity as we hauled over the horizon into Male Harbour 2 hours early!! So educating our people to question things and think for themselves is about the best investment we can make.

God I'm begining to sound old!!