PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA cancels flights due to "snow"
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2005, 09:51
dakar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All

I find it amazing that this thread had been opened by one of BA's own? I agree with Bealine what would you hope to achieve?, you obviously have too much time on your hands at Waterworld.

My understanding of the events by reading the replies, is that BA in an unprecedented approach decided to proactively cancel in advance. The weather men last Thursday were predicting doom and gloom with the press advising not to undertake any non essential travel and to stay at home. With this in mind and BA ability to de-ice their operation, I for one can understand why they took this proactive approach, albeit the forcasters were 24hours to early.

The other interesting view of this, having suffered a cancellation after being boarded to be told the flight was cancelled was, I'm sure, to inform as many of us passengers as early as possible. Personally, having signed up for BA text message alert system I would have prefered to know in advance rather than check-in and waive goodbye to my bags down to the depths of the baggage hall, never to be seen again, or at least for a few days.

With, regards to the shortage of crew, I find it fustrating if this is happening after all the events of last summers problems in the terminals. However, it also appears that crews were also being notified of disruption in advance, I wonder how many crews would have planned to commute in on that Thursday morning, of those I wonder how many failed to show?

This for BA was a no winner for them. good to see them being procative, unfortunate weather didn't happen. Will be interested to see if they do it again.

Dakar.