PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weasel Words in FSA
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2005, 06:31
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have too many problems with the "technical jargon" and the trend towards non inflamatory or non pejorative language so that we don't frighten the horses.

The replacement of the pejorative "death plunge" with the more reasonable "an uncommanded rapid descent" is entirely in order, but I'm not sure about "a non normal and involuntary negative gradient departure from a commanded optimal flight envelope".
Perhaps it's context.
"death plunge" = media report
"an uncommanded rapid descent" = airline media release
"a non normal and involuntary negative gradient departure from a commanded optimal flight envelope". = technical report?

Capt Passerini I hastento add is NOT in and of that mode and the gist of his article demonstrated and imparted to the reader a well researched and deep knowledge of his subject matter.

But we are seeing an increasing use of suchlike in efforts to appear, perhaps "scholarly".
And I do agree wholeheartedly with Menens dismay at an overwhelming trend towards unnecessary verbosity in technical language and the substitution of "intelligent concise English" with, well, "weasel words"

Is it possible to simplify
"With RNP if there is a non-normal event like engine or GPS failure, the crew will have more tools in the tool kit to manage the work, solve the problem and extract the aeroplane if they're at a low altitude"..
without losing the sense?

I don't know, but I'll have a go;

"With RNP the crew operate in a structured environment such that a safe flight path is always available in the event of mechanical or equipment failure."?

OBNO

again it's context and I suspect our friend Menens might be slightly different however go here;

weasel words

Last edited by gaunty; 5th Mar 2005 at 06:45.