PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Racing to the bottom.
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2005, 12:45
Ultralights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm curious as to how an employer providing a better deal for you will enhance their bottom line? Simple logic dictates that if you are paid more, your employer needs to find additional sources of income, reduce costs elsewhere or accept reduced profits. Unfortunately, Australian industry isn't run as a communist collective so I guess that rules out reduced profits.
lets see, Im an Employer, I employ 4 full time drivers, ALL are members of the TWU! i was a Unuion delegate at QF.

I pay my drivers well, my drivers are happy, and willing to go the extra mile for me when i ask of them. my customers are happy because my public face to them (my drivers) are happy! sure i could pay them 30% less, my bottom $$ will look good! but my employees will do less for me when asked, they might become unhappy, and that will be felt by my customers, (who by the way entrust me with an average of $3 MILLION worth of their stock PER DAY! not including master cd, and all associated pre release recordings) so i need drivers i can trust, and keeping them happy is the only way we can earn each otehrs trust, not only that i will have a higher turnover of drivers.

lets see the benefits of Overpaying my employees!, customers are happy, my drivers will go the extra mile without question, to get an urgent or important job done, i get a good rep, customers decide to give me more work (with a company and drivers THEY can trust) more work = more income! trust me, its a fantastic feeling being asked to take over a contract form a very large competitor!

not only that i get the satisfaction of running a sucessfull and Reputable business, that will have a secure income for all involved for the Long term!

I have kept all my drivers for 3 yrs! almost a record in the trucking game. why would they leave?

the reason the aviation industry is the way it is, is simply because Air fares at Train ticket prices is NOT sustainable! corrigan can see that! airlines can see that, but they must cut cost to stay alive! and they do that the only way they know how!

So Mr passed- a- frodo you need a reality check when it comes to Employee- employer relations! as it seams to me you dont understand any side of the argument.

as for screwing the australian public, how about the australian public screwing the industry for wanting to fly from SYD to PERTH for $4.50

a quick question MR passed-a-frodo, (i know it wont be answered truthfully) but how long will you work, at the job you have loved since day dot, in an industry you love, without a pay rise???

sure, i am earning 4 times what i earnt at QF, but i sit in an office, and in a truck and cart pallets, boxes and envelopes, i would rather be fixing planes for a living! its what i love to do most.

you sound like a very unhappy man.

wages and money dont buy happiness! satisfaction in a job well done and pride in doing something that you love and doing it well, creates happiness.