PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Jigsaw
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2005, 12:35
running in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

luvverboy

I do not fly for the MCA, but as an informed observer I think you are being very harsh and you are certainly ill informed. MCA crewmen may be older (and wiser) but there again they do not have to run around in gas masks and do war like things. Serving overseas in a war may be jolly good, but is it relevant ? Also I think if you check your facts you will find the level of training is very similar between the MCA and the Services. True the MCA do not do diver drops, but there again neither do the RAF. As far as training goes, the MCA crews probably do more training each month (including wets, cliffs and lots of decks) than service crews as their aircraft are serviceable. You missed FLIR operator off your list of clever things a navy crewman can do- have the navy joined the modern world and fitted FLIR to their SAR Sea Kings yet?

In my experience from the RAF the best crewmen (both SH and SAR) were usually the old Master Aircrew who were past the first flush of youth but had years of experience to fall back on. It is similar people who form the backbone of the MCA crews, and as we regularly see on TV do an excellent job.

Do you think the MCA would accept winch ops trained at "a dicky cours at RAF valley"?

Can you quote an example of when the MCA have failed in a rescue due to old crewmen? Thought not!

RI