PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Least inappropriate or appealing engineering job?
Old 4th Mar 2005, 12:18
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Least appropriate or appealing engineering job?

This isn't an attempt to ressurect the Engineer .v. technician .v mechanic debate, but to poke fun at some of the idiots out there recruiting our profession(s), and some of the job specs and titles that they come up with.

So, which is the least appealing, or mis-stated job you can come across with "Engineer" in the job title? (Apart from whatever you are doing at the moment, that's cheating).

I'll kick off the debate with something from Flight's website today....

G

How much????? And where is it?
Job Title: Ingenieur Avionique-Radionavigation
Region: Finland
Company: Modis
Salary: £1 per hour
Position type: Contract
Posted: Friday 4 March 2005
Job type(s): Administration
Description: Notre client recherche un ingenieur avionique-radionavigation pour une mission dans le sud de la France.

Au sein du Bureau d'Etudes de la Direction AviationGenerale, dans le cadre du renforcement du pole de competences systemes radionavigation et software, votre poste consistera en l'analyse des architectures systemes etl 'integration des systemes avioniques.

Issu d'une ecole d'ingenieur enElectronique ou Aeronautique, vous justifiez d'une experience significative eavionique.

Vousmaitrisez les logiciels bureautiques et maitrisez imperativementl'anglais. Vous avez 5 annees d'experience dans ce domaine.

Oh and to follow up, a couple from the website of the UK job centre that I tracked down just to get the hackles up of anybody who has ever trained in Engineering, of any type.

Soo I need my own space shuttle, where do I land it in Maidstone?
Job TitleSATELLITE ENGINEER TUN/31341 LocationTUNBRIDGE WELLS, KENT Hours40 HOURS PER WEEK BETWEEN MONDAY-FRIDAY Wage£400 PER WEEK DurationPERMANENT

DescriptionMust have previous satellite installation experience. Own transport essential. Duties include installing and servicing boxes in private households. Immediate start. Weekend work available if required. Will be required to travel to Maidstone once a week to collect equipment. Self employed people are responsible for paying their own National Insurance Contributions and Tax. For information on how benefits may be affected, and whether entitlement may be lost, speak to a Jobcentre Plus Advisor

What, I get to be in charge of a whole door hinge?
Job TitleDOOR SPRING ENGINEER LYS/577 LocationLONDON Hours47.5 HOURS PER WEEK, MONDAY-FRIDAY, 7.30AM-5.30PM. Wage£8 - £10 PER HOUR (NEGOTIABLE) DurationPERMANENT

DescriptionMust be able to install, repair and maintain all types of door closures and associated hardware. Applicant must be experience, able to work with the minimum supervision. Must hold a current and clean driving licence.

Damned complicated things, fire extinguishers, to need a full time Engineer to maintain them !
Job TitleFIRE EXTINGUISHER ENGINEER CFB/88226 LocationCARDIFF, CANTON Hours35 HOURS PER WEEK MONDAY-FRIDAY 9AM-5PM Wage£5.00 PER HOUR + BONUSES DurationPERMANENT

DescriptionMust be aged 25+ for insurance purposes. Must be able to work under own initiative once training completed. Must have a full clean driving licence. Full training will be provided. Mainly for Cardiff and Newport area. Duties include servicing of fire appliances

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 5th May 2005 at 10:35.