PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asymmetric flaps
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2005, 11:35
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should say that one of the underlying assumptions of the flight testing we've done has always been that you'd not try and land with asymmetric flaps, but balance them out and land with symmetric flaps
Genghis, surely this would depend on the nature of the failure?

Not all that long ago, I had a flap problem in a PA28, on the approach - the flap lever became jammed. My initial reaction was to perform a go-around and take the problem back into the air, so that's what I did.

Once back at a safe height, I started thinking through the options. It was night, and even with all the cockpit lighting I had available I was unlikely to be able to figure out for certain what the problem was, but I knew that it was neither possible to add more flap nor to retract the flap that I had. I had no indications that there was any asymmetry, but couldn't be certain. The cloud base was too low to be able to get above it and do some stalls, and even if it hadn't been I'm not sure I'd have wanted to do that at night. The only option I had left was to make an approach with whatever flaps I currently had.

It turned out that it was simply the lever which had become jammed - no reason at all why there should have been any asymmetry. But I didn't know that at the time, and even if there had been asymmetry, with the flap lever jammed and it being dark I'd have been stuck with it.

FFF
---------------