PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EU / USA open skies negotiations
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2005, 11:15
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking EU sees sense on cabotage!

Irish Times, 4th March

EU Commissioner travelling to Washington on 21-22 March;

The main obstacle now seems to be increase on ownership; Americans have already offered up to 49%. Can they reasonably be expected to offer more? Furthermore, how much does EU permit non-EU countries/bodies to own? This should, hopefully, be dealt with fairly quickly.

The EU's concession on cabotage is most important, but as welcome as it is, does mean that it has effectively wasted a year (actually two years, because it's too late now for any action in time for Summer 2005) on this. Not sure what is expected to be gained in March, but hopefully, we can achieve something in time for 2005.

It's obviously too early to get very excited, but I'd hope something can be done this year, even if not in time for this Summer. HOWEVER, what annoys me is that the EU has (as I understand it) exercised its power to stop the govt from concluding negotiations with the US, while at the same time it has been seeking something it now accepts is not a runner. Surely, as a matter of good faith, at least, it should now permit Ireland to readjust its bilateral to allow a change in the ratio of flights between DUB/SNN, as well as unlimited access to all other airports, ORK, KIR, NOC, etc.