PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Regulatory Reform Program will drift along forever
Old 4th Mar 2005, 10:07
Menen

On a similar subject, I have just seen the various "Matrix" that GA flying schools are required to follow less knuckles are rapped by CASA surveillance FOI on audits.

I might have misunderstood the principles of these "matrix" but the days seem to be over when you took your ab-initio student flying on one fine day and taught him several sequences in the one period if he showed the aptitude. For instance: A natural student could easily cover straight and level, climbing and descending, maybe a circuit joining and even a go at a take off. All in an hour on a nice day.

But the new rules say your ops manual must show a Lesson Plan for each individual sequence which in turn must have numerous levels of competency. And I believe that no longer can the instructor tick the competency boxes but must describe each level of competency reached.

So unless the Ops Manual Lesson Plan includes each individual exercise in the one period (which it won't because the instructor wouldn't know until he got airborne how good the student is), I understand that after completing (say) straight and level, the lesson is ended and you must go home to land as the Lesson Plan does not permit flexibility of choice to include other allied exercises. The cost to the student of learning to fly via Lesson Plan matrix policy is going to be horrendous.

All of the above info I got from an instructor at a flying school as that is how he sees it. Is he right?