PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crewing versus Human Rights
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2005, 13:57
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>Just where do you draw the line?<

Well, I suppose the point is you have to use your "personal power" and draw a line - somewhere!

A long while ago I went on an evening class about Assertiveness and it was well worth attending. By the way, being assertive does not mean aggressive and/or getting you own way but it's all about negotiating a win/win situation.

The crewing officers in this situation have all my sympathies and we must be careful not to shoot the messenger.

One tactic if you are feel you are being imposed on is to ask for more time and or information. When crewing (or anyone come to that) calls you on the phone they are in control. Simply say that they have called at a difficut time and that you will call them back in ten minutes. When you call them back they YOU are in control of the conversation! You have also had time to compose yourself and perhaps even have a peep at the "rule book" to see where you stand.

This is, of course, a short term solution. In the longer term you might have to decide whether you want to continue working for the same company. The job strategy I would commend is threefold:-

1. Mentally quit your job.
2. Whilst in the job act as professionally as possible and aim to be a "model" employee - reason - track record!
3. Whilst in the current job look for the next one - better to move when YOU want to rather than have it forced on you by corporate "downsizing" or company failure etc.

Another way of assessing your current situation is to imagine every part of your life (ie career, family, health, spiritual, hobby etc) as the spoke on a bicycle wheel. Score 0 and the centre and 10 at the rim of the wheel and score yourself on each area and then join up the points on each spoke. If you have a nice round "wheel" you have a balanced life. If it's all wonky then there is something that it going to make you feel out of balance. Much of life is about balance. Years ago i gave my soul to my job but I have learned that this is not a very good idea!

Good Luck