PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Around the world in 80hrs
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2005, 12:42
Jhieminga

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Does anyone know how this differs from the Dick Rutan non stop around the world trip?
As Grainger pointed out this flight is solo, and its a jet-engined aircraft. A few other differences:
- Voyager flew at 11.000ft, having to circumnavigate all the weatherfronts, Globalflyer flies four times as high, putting him above the weather systems
- The most sophisticated piece of navigation equipment on Voyager was an Omega system. Globalflyer relies on a GPS system, coupled to an autopilot.
- The Voyager flight lasted for over nine days. Globalflyer's flight will be less than three days.

Not wanting to belittle Steve Fosset's achievements, I still think that Voyager was a more challenging project, both from the crew's view as from the organisation standpoint. But that's just my view.

Btw, can someone explain why Globalflyer's website is saying that they beat the 1962 B-52 record while Voyager already beat this record in 1986? Are they conveniently leaving out this fact because they are talking about Jet-engined class records only??

Edit: Looks like I found the answer to my question already:

Jet-engine class distance records

Piston engined class records

Last edited by Jhieminga; 3rd Mar 2005 at 13:02.