PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 744 Diversion to MAN (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2005, 10:12
The SSK

A Runyonesque Character

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
desk jockey, can you clarify this statement
From the Wall Street Journal, quoted in this thread:
"British Airways would have also had to pay travelers €210,600, or about $280,000 -- €600 apiece -- if they got to London's Heathrow Airport more than five hours late." - WRONG

From The Times, quoted in this thread:
"The regulation requires airlines to refund passengers the full cost of their tickets as well as flying them home if a delay lasts longer than five hours." - WRONG

The Regulation states that, once a delay has exceeded five hours, if the passenger decides that the journey no longer serves any purpose , he may elect not to travel and receive a refund of the ticket price.

I invite you to consider how many passengers on a LAX-LON flight would turn around and say 'I've had enough of this, I'm going home'. Bear in mind that this would not be an option for those returning to the UK because they cannot claim that the journey 'no longer serves any purpose'.

Yes, the Regulation requires airlines to provide meals and where necessary hotel accommodation, but in the case of overnight delay that would be standard BA practice anyway, Regulation or no Regulation.