PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transair - Pilot shop for pilots?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2005, 08:19
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My criticism of Transair would be the same as my criticism of all 'pilot shops' on both sides of the Atlantic and in Oz as well. They all sell the same boring old stuff they've sold for years, most of it from the same sources and a proportion of it virtual trash. Actually, I consider Transair to be one of the better ones among a truly dismal bunch.

I reckon that if someone was to be taken blindfolded into any pilot shop in any of the regions mentioned above, it would be virtually impossible for them to tell which continent they were on, much less which shop they were in.

Once you get away from the essential bread and butter stuff, such as charts, kneeboards, textbooks, headsets and GPS receivers, what's left?

1. Cheap poly-cotton flying suits that are really 'boiler suits' in disguise,

2. WW2 style flying jackets for the dreamer,

3. pilot watches with impossibly cluttered faces (utterly useless in a cockpit vibrating at perhaps 250Hz when the engine(s) is/are running), fit only for the club's non-flying poseur,

4. and a whole load of other pricy aviation tat, such as tee shirts, baseball caps, coasters and cheap jewelry.

Compare this with what you can get in the average mountaineering/climbing shop, or a shop for SCUBA divers. There is no comparison.

Broomstick