PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Centralised Engineering At Lyneham
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2005, 21:44
Jobza Guddun

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Desert Bat,

You make some valid and agreeable points there, but I'd like to take issue with the beginning of your post. You infer, probably not intentionally, that the main thing that matters for a JEngO is keeping the sqn boss happy- is that at the expense of sensible and correct engineering decisions? (We all know that this happens). I would have thought the priority is to see the task is carried out as efficiently as possible given the available resources without compromising standards or safety?

Aircrew as a breed AREN'T bothered about the difficulties we face, why should they be? Harsh but fair. All that matters to them is that they have enough aircraft to do their thing with; how much pain we've gone through to achieve that is not their problem, it's OURS. Harsh but fair. We don't care that they can't fly due to bad weather, do we?

I can imagine how a young JEngO would feel in the situation you describe, but that I'm afraid goes with the joy of being the officer. You get good bosses, you get bad ones - you either roll with it or roll over. The best EngO's just do what's right, and let the career take care of itself. I do wonder though, in your example, where was the SEngO? Why did they leave you to face the music alone?

(We might know each other, I can almost imagine the two people in question!)

There is nothing I have learned that convinces me that there is any other way forward (at least in the FJ/RW worlds which I have experienced) than with squadron groundcrew, but unfortunately the benefits as I see them are not quantifiable to some zealous beancounter with little or no squadron experience. What I DO know is the situation down there at Lyneham is not acceptable, and I fear for the safety of our aircrew should it arrive in the FJ world because that is NO way to do business.

"it was interesting to note there were no loud voices trying to maintain the level of manpower RAF engineering requires to operate effectively and efficiently."

Absolutely spot on, squire. You might add "safely" to that too.