PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - to bang out or not to bang out
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2005, 16:23
Roghead

Tarnished makes a good point with regard the lack of currency reference seat training ,drills,survival etc., which most non mil bang seat travellers would suffer from. However there is evidence that as long as the user knows how to pull the handle, that is all he/she needs to know and that all the other useful information is exactly that...useful but not essential. I know of one accident (Javelins mid air, Far East mid 60's) where the T-bird pax was a locally enlisted airman with very limited seat training who survived the ride with nil physical problems. I'm sure there are many more. I also accept that I never made the "ride" but suffered many hours of seat and associated training and as CSRO inflicted the pain on many others, but do wonder how much was necessary.
Glad to hear that the locals haven't blunted your wit Tarnished. Enjoy the sun.

Just reread the post from Poor Southerner, and must add that the Military had poor examples of surviveability post ejection despite the extensive training. As an ex CSRO and CFSO I found that difficult to understand at the time, and as a retired old fart now put it down to arrogance rather than ignorance.

Last edited by Roghead; 2nd Mar 2005 at 16:36.