PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 757-200 performance
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2005, 13:00
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Response" I wouldn't normally mention it, but as you are an author.

The aircraft reaction to control input obviously varies depending on the speed. For example at rest or at low speed pulling back on the yolk will do nothing perceptably. At or close to Vr the aircraft will rotate promptly. To rotate at significantly lower speeds will require more input to achieve the effect. If there is not enough speed the aircraft will not lift off. You can only rotate so far before the whole thing becomes geometry limited as the tail end will scrape along the runway in a "firery orange shower of hot sparks". The 757-200 has no bar or anything else to protect itself if this happens. I have never actually done it, but I believe there is a water drain mast that hits first and detaches, followed promptly by the aft fuselage making contact .

The aircraft would be airborne at a higher angle of attack than usual, but not in a steep climb. Remember you damaged it by insisting it rotated to its geometry limit far too early and it now needs to accelerate to an initial climb speed. Having also damaged the back end ( and possibly the aft pressure bulkhead), you wouldn't want to pressurise it too much either. There is a drill to carry out a bit later that deals with this problem.

Having damaged the aft end of the aircraft, it is up to you ( the author) how much of a problem this will cause. It might be anything from scored aluminium ( scratching) to ruptured hydraulic lines.

If you let me know where this aircarft was flying from and its first intended destination, I will try and come up with some numbers for you. They probably wouldn't stand up to expert scrutiny, but should lie somewhere in the ballpark ( or around the pool in this case ).

Last edited by Bealzebub; 2nd Mar 2005 at 13:14.