PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How hot are Hot brakes
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2005, 08:36
dmmoore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in the dark ages of jet aviation we used a pyrometer to check brake temps on short turns. It worked well on the old iron brakes instaled on the DC-8-63 and the 747-100. The -200 had brake temp indicatiors installed.

The Boeing AFM had a brake cooling statement and a chart that could be used to calculate minimum brake cooling time based on aircraft landing weight and the OAT. Landing at 635,000 at 0 dges C gave something close to 1+30 minimum ground time. We were scheduled for a 0+45 turn. We never made it and took delays on almost every flight until I stumbled into that statement in the AFM.

Pilot technique is a large factor. A lead footed pilot can get more heat in the brakes than the pilot that lets it roll using minimum braking force.

My standard trick was to walkaround the aircraft as I blocked it in and look at the brakes. If the arrival was before sun up, if they were glowing, I had my answer. If there were shimmers of heat raising between the gear, I had my answer. If they didn't give any indication of being hot, I would hold my hand over the inboard disk and feel for heat. If the temperature didn't get my attention, I would lightly touch the brake piston housing. If I could hold my hand on the brake housing we were good to go. This information was in a Boeing Airliner on more than one occasion dating from the mid 1970's.

Don