PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair worry the heck out of me and many other professional pilots
Old 2nd Mar 2005, 08:33
ifleeplanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are many things wrong with the management philosophy in Ryanair BUT the pilots are well rested very current. Two landings/takeoffs a day each into airfields that are limiting BUT not dangerous, with many circling and NPA. How does that compare with 1 landing every month in the safety stakes?? I notice a recent case of a female BA F/O wanting to go part time after four years in the airline. She had amassed 1100 hours in 4 years! Our pilots are current and will do more than that in 18 months, so who will be in better currency?

You may justifiably critisise the management but the pilots are some of the best in Europe. We do not exceed limitations and are monitored by OFDM just like the rest the major carriers.

I fly 5 earlies followed by 3 full days off (so in effect nearly 4 days off) then 5 lates followed by 3 full days off. Yes I am tired at times but far less so than I was under the CAA pattern. I see my kids everyday, often taking them to school and managing to see their plays etc etc.

The things RYANAIR has going for it are the roster patterns 5*, new aircraft 5*, great pilots and crew 5*, good pay 4*. The managment intimidation is a huge problem but hopefully will be sorted soon with very positive signs coming from Dublin. When thats been sorted out the airline will be a great place to work.

You can slag off the management as much as you please but your way off line hitting the pilots!