PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Jigsaw
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2005, 08:01
Tuckunder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HF,

I appreciate that 20 hours has been plucked out of the air. However, if you think that is enough for a "line pilot" to convert to SAR then you are in cloud cuckoo land. I too did the Culdrose Course and then spent 10 months at a Scottish base (?) before my command. This was as a FJ cross over specifically posted to SAR for a quick command. Your comment about only spending 20 hours on wets and decks during the course is correct however, were you then a capable SAR pilot? I certainly wasn't. The only way that you can become a safe SAR commander is by experiencing very iffy conditions with someone holding your hand. Then when you are let lose you frighten yourself a few times with the rest of the crew still holding your hand until eventually you feel capable of having a look at any situation. This cannot be done in 20 hours.

I agree SAR is challenging and rewarding but I certainly do not imply that it has mystique attached. However, it does require bucketloads of experience to operate safely no matter what your background.

Happy hovering

Tuckunder