PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kiribati Charter Operators
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2005, 03:32
Wanikiba_pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LtDoolittle,

There is no air service between the line islands. There was an Aloha charter once a week between Honolulu and Kiritimati but I think it has ended now due operational and security problems. I understand the government were looking for someone else to do the flying between HNL and Kiritimati.

Air Kiribati have a Casa 212 and a Harbin Y12, turboprop aircraft. The ATR 72 is gone, cost way too much money to keep running. I would doubt that Air Kiribati has the capacity to get you from Tarawa to Washington Island, it's a long way, I think it is more than 2000 miles! They pretty much do the Gilbert Island group with odd charters to Nauru and Majuro. There used to be an Air Kiribati air service between the line islands using a Casa212, based at Kiritimati, but the Casa was sent back to Tarawa, this was some time ago(early 90's). I have heard the airstrips on Washington and Fanning are now unserviceable, and would need to be cleared of overgrowth.

Your best bet is to probably charter a boat from Honolulu or Kiritimati, if you can get there. Contact the Honorary consul to Kiribati in Hawaii, his name is Bill Pope, he will know who is flying the route to Kiritimati now. He will also issue your visas.

Boat charters from Fiji are also possible.

I have also sent you a Private Message.

Regards,

WP.

Last edited by Wanikiba_pilot; 2nd Mar 2005 at 15:27.