PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Racing to the bottom.
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2005, 23:19
cunningham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food for thought. Found this article in a recent edition of the Financial Review.

Netballers join union

The Australian Netball Players Association has signed a deal with the Australian Workers Union. The alliance is aimed at improving the income and health and safety conditions of elite players.

If a group of netballers can get their act together why can't the Australian Pilot body?

In the past I personally have had resrvations about unions especially after what happened in the 70's. Many of the Unions of the day brought many companies to their knees. (My father's included.) This left a bad taste in my mouth for a long time.

However, as I have sat back and watched this industry sink like the Titanic I strongly feel if we want to salvage anything from this industry we must unite. I strongly believe there is no other way.

In a previous life I was an accountant and we had dozens of guys on our books who were working in underground mines operating equipment worth millions of dollars. Many of the guys ( and girls) were licenced to operate 5 or six machines.

NONE of these people paid for their licences/endorsements.