PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forming A Pilot Database?
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2005, 20:22
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your response BigGrecian.

180 views and one reply - I guess that answers the last two questions of my initial post!

As far as I'm aware BALPA offer membership to student pilots for a subscription fee whereas this used to be free (changed policy begining of 2002) and precisely what benefits are offered to students are unclear from what I can understand. Does anyone know if their legal contacts have been used in a case where a student was being unfairly treated by an FTO for example? From my experience most students don't bother with BALPA but that may simply be because they are unaware of it's services to students.

Regarding the standard of those names provided to an airline, this would obviously remain the responsibility of the airline as it always has and always should. They are the ones paying the wages and therefore have a high vested interest in assessing applicants suitability for the position. Surely a legal disclaimer would clarify this and remove any doubt regarding repercussions for the providors of a possible applicant?

Good question regarding airlines approaching an organisation when they have CV's in their files. This is obviously something which one hopes could change given time. Many airlines are aware that a CV they recieved last week may not still be valid (the sender may now have a job!) and that the most recent are the more likely viable applicants. I know of one regional airline who required 5 first officers last year and from the 40 odd applications recieved that week alone, only 2 were possibilities for interview. Following further sifting through previous weeks applications it became harder to find someone who was suitable enough to call for interview or who was actually still available! This must be a time consuming part of recruitment for them. How eaiser would it be for them to contact an agency and request the latest name that fulfills their criteria?

It would be interesting to hear what any of the management contributors to PPRuNe think about this idea. Obviously all this would take time and procedures would need reassessing within the airline but in theory it might be worth it, no? On PPRuNe we often read how unsolicited CV's cause nuisance within airlines. As jobs come and go within hours so too do the potential suitable applicants. To my mind it seems like an idea that might benefit both camps.

VFE.

Last edited by VFE; 1st Mar 2005 at 20:33.