PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ace The Tech Pilot Interview- Clarification On Answer
Old 1st Mar 2005, 19:04
Tamilvimani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ace The Tech Pilot Interview- Clarification On Answer

Hi guys, I am revising my technical knowledge and one of the books I am reading is "ACE THE TECHNICAL PILOT INTERVIEW" by Mr GARY V. BRISTOW.

First of all, I hope Mr BRISTOW is a PPRUNE member. I would like to give my thanks for his superb effort in producing a concise tome of reference for the practising pilot in a question and answer format.

There is one subject in the book where I do not agree with the answer or need further light. I hope someone can help..

at page 60. Question: "How does a crosswind affect the critical engine?"

Answer: "A crosswind, depending on the direction, can either help to restore or aggravate the yawing moment of an aircraft with a failed critical engine. For instance a failed critical number 1 engine will cause a yaw to the left. A crosswind from the left will apply a restoring force to the aircraft's fuselage, whereas a crosswind from the right will aggravate the yawing moment further to the left due to the sideways force experienced on the right side of the aircraft' fuselage (which is from the right to the left).

At page 195 he substantially says the same when he says that with an engine failure between V1 and VR and if you had maximum crosswind it is better to lose the UPWIND engine. "This is so because the crosswind would then oppose the yawing moment of the downwind engine"

My question/doubt.:Is it not a fact that an aircraft tends to "weather cock" into the wind due to the keel surfaces which are substantially bigger in area and act as a 'sail'. Therefore a crosswind from the opposite side of the failed engine should counter the yawing moment of the failed engine. (ie its better to lose the downwind engine).

Thanks