PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Jigsaw
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2005, 12:38
Tuckunder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Humming Frog:

quote:

While Jigsaw is "simple" SAR with only the requirement to be capable at day/night wets and decks it will not be easy. If all the kit is working correctly your average line pilot with about 20hrs training should be able to do it.

I would love to know where 20 hours of training could possibly be enough for even "simple SAR" In my experience of SAR which goes back to 1984, I would never describe any SAR as simple. I personally find it quite difficult and during the night season it has never got any easier in 21 years. However, I do agree with you that experience can extricate you out of the mire when things start to go wrong. Personally, I wish the crews on the Bond contract all the best, but I will always remain wary of a chief pilot that quotes SAR as not Rocket Science. Indeed it is not but it is the most difficult flying on the North Sea. In my case the most difficult flying I have ever done and that includes pointed things with their arse on fire.

Back to your quote, what happens when a fishing vessel is sinking close by the offshore machine on a s....ty winters' night. Is your "simple" SAR crew going to turn it down? I hope not but if they have only 20 hours training, they better had.

Happiness is hovering over a small deck in a force 12!

Tuckunder.

P.S. I forgot to add: the doppler will help get you to the scene but once you commence winching over a deck you might as well turn it off. Manual only I'm afraid.