PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tales of An Old Aviator .... The Big Chill
Old 28th Feb 2005, 21:11
Irish Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow!

I'm trying, not altogether successfully, to think straight having browsed through sections of this massive thread, and I'm feeling so many different emotions that are all competing for attention.

First, great sadness at the passing of a man who has made a mark on the world by his life. He will be missed by many, and there will probably not be too many people who will be able to make a similar mark in the future.

Second, happiness for Duke, that he was able to maintain and show so clearly such a deep and clear zest for life throughout all of the trials he faced towards the end. You can call it whatever you will, courage, determination, commitment, the name doesn't really matter, what shines through is the strength of character that he possessed.

Third, respect for all that have been involved with this thread. I've been around here for a while, and this is one thread where there's been no controversy, abuse, name calling or any of the other things that are becoming too frequent elsewhere.

Fourth, relief that my own encounter with Big C was only a passing skirmish so far, and if what the medics and statistics are telling me is right, I might not see it again for a long time, if ever. And for anyone that's not looking forward to having a medico check his prostate for enlargement at the time of the medical, I shall always and for ever be very glad I did a class 1 instead of a class 2 when all I really needed was a medical for some recreational flying at the time. If I hadn't done the class 1, I might not have been here to write this, as there was nothing symptom wise to indicate that my prostate was in trouble. This all happened about the same time as this thread started. So far, it's not returned, and the signs are good that it might not.

I could probably add a lot more, but I'm not sure I totally trust my emotions at the moment, they've been well shaken and stirred over the last hour or so.

To all Duke's family, I hadn't even seen this thread till today, and I wish I'd seen it sooner, it's been an inspiration to me to just read how he met the challenge head on and at full speed.

His final departure will have left an unfillable void, which even time will be unable to fill adequately. You have my profound respect and sympathy for all you have dealt with. I know you have been left with many happy memories. Long may they provide the strength and support you need.