PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFDS require Awesome Flying Qualifications
Old 28th Feb 2005, 02:51
Night Hawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I think you’ll find that the RFDS( South Eastern section anyway) is no retirement village. There are at least a dozen or so pilots that are under 40 spread over the five bases and half a dozen are also under 35. Some joined the RFDS when they were in their late twenties. Granted there are some older pilots in the ranks who are in until the Dr’s say that’s it but even some of them plus the young one’s are looking else where due to the high turn over of chief pilot’s of late.

The pay actually isn’t that bad but could be better. Starting pay is around 54K going up to 64K(with years of service) but with the Salary sacrifice set up they have, it’s about the same take home pay as if you were on high 60’s to mid 70’s depending on your years of service anywhere else. This all varies across the section due to the fact that some bases get overtime pay because of their contracts being operated and some get a remote area allowance. Some bases get neither which hopefully will be addressed at the next EBA. The overtime pay and allowances(Meals/phones etc..) is on top of the figures above. Except for night shift there is almost never any overnights also.

The high qualifications come from the Sydney contract requirements which is why the high numbers for the FOM job. The Sydney minimums (line pilot) were made section wide requirements by two chief pilots ago. The other bases don’t actually require these minimums. NSW air ambulance service think these hours best suit their needs.

IMHO they are bit over the top. Lots of IF time is definitely required but the right type is required, like time logged conducting approaches not 20 mins in a cloud at 15,000 feet.

Having done my share of back hole approaches or low vis, low level arrivals into some strips that you think twice driving a 4WD down fast let alone landing a B200, experience is definitely required. Its more about what type of flying you’ve done before plus under what conditions. Was it through the wet season? Have you even been into short strips? Those who have gone ILS to ILS their whole career will struggle to get an interview for line position but maybe looked at for the FOM and other management positions. The last two FOM’s were x airline, so management may look elsewhere in the industry. Whether they look internally is yet to be seen.

The FOM’s job is not an easy one, with 6 bases to worry about plus the politics which would take another 5 pages to explain, so I won’t.

Anyway being a line pilot is a good job , the FOM’s is a nightmare but could be good if they choose right.

Good luck to those who applied. That’s my 2 cents worth!!!

P.S. Hit any small black and white birds yet Stallie??