PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 744 Diversion to MAN (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2005, 23:38
ManagedNav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not trying to second guess the crew, just trying to present an opinion. If this were a generic situation brought up for discussion in the schoolhouse, it may be a valid point that the possibility always exists for things like a change in flight level that could alter the outcome of an abnormal situation.

Could they have refused the lower flight level based on their fuel status? Could they have recalculated the EFOA at the new flight level and turned around? Were they totally screwed by circumstances that were not in their control?

The point is not to slam the crew in their decision making, but to learn that within the scope of each individual pilots' threshold for safety, there must be a line that can never be crossed. Contrary to the views of some on the ground, we have ultimate control of the decision making process and should not be afraid to exercise it.

Any pilot worth his salt will tell you of similar instances they have experienced over their career, myself included. I am thankful that nothing worse came of this and I personally view this as a great opportunity for the rest of us to gain useful information that could affect our decision making process should we find ourselves in the same situation.

I strongly reccommend the book entitled "Redefining Airmanship" by Anthonthy Kern.

"I'd rather be lucky than good"

Last edited by ManagedNav; 28th Feb 2005 at 01:21.