PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Racing to the bottom.
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2005, 19:07
Pass-A-Frozo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ralph,

You're right. There is another option. You could found an economic system where people are paid what their skill set is worth, and pay levels are set by a central body. Oh, that's right ... there is one already.. it's called Communism. Shame the USSR collapsed, you could be booking you're airfare to the Union right now..

Unions have a dead weight loss on the economy. If you want to argue they result in positive outcomes, read up on Monopsonies (in relation to the demand for labour). I may agree with you in that circumstance.

As for your comments of the "shareholders" or "boss's" loving me, well you're probably right. Got a problem with that? Become a shareholder, go to the QANTAS annual general meeting and argue that the company should try to increase the cost base.

Anyway, keep trying to push costs up by demanding you get paid more than you're worth to the company - I'm sure you'll be the first one in tears on the news when you've lost you're job because the company moves jobs offshore or goes out of business because it can't compete. I'm off to make the boss a coffee

Last edited by Pass-A-Frozo; 27th Feb 2005 at 19:19.