PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Fleet Expansion.Ryanair to spend €4.5bn on 125 new Boeings
Old 26th Feb 2005, 19:25
shlittlenellie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No room in a saturated market

Enough of this ill-considered rubbish about it being a risky move for Ryanair. This is reminiscent of those that doubted the profitability of low cost operations. Ryanair and Easyjet were once fledglings in an established airline world. Look then, look now and look ahead.

Surely this is the big move by Ryanair to commence the MOL promised bloodbath among European low cost operators. Ryanair are stating their intentions very clearly: to dominate the market that they had a big hand in creating. Their plan is an increase in scale and this doesn't mean adding capacity to a "saturated market". What it does mean is pushing out the little operators that are making money in their own regional niches at the moment - i.e. their revenue is there for the taking by anyone with sufficient strength to back up the aggression.

I'm not pro MOL and Ryanair, in fact I work for an opposition carrier that is set to take a hammering. The promise of a 225 aircraft fleet should be the loudest of warnings to BMIbaby, Jet2, Flybe, Thomsonfly and Hapag Lloyd Express amongst many others. Sooner or later, even the largest among them, will not have the resources to fight a war - and that's what it's going to be.

Business has no sentimentality.