PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abusive Controller
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2005, 16:29
splodge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely...

This is a delicate and sensitive issue.

Safety was becoming an issue where pilots were being shouted at for pointing out conflicting traffic (as if we were telling the controller he wasn't doing his job). Same thing happens about advising that the wrong runway is stated on the ATIS. The worst is when student pilots request a 'say again' and get a bollocking for not listening properly. ATC mistakes are also turned around and pilots blamed for them over the radio.

Now if it was me that was getting the abuse then no problem - I have a thick skin and I can hold my own on the radio. To hear my colleagues and student pilots taking a bashing every single day is too much however. Not a very condusive atmosphere to learn or work.

For now things have quietened down for the first time in weeks. Maybe it is coincidence or maybe this thread has got the message across without having to do anything else. I am keeping my fingers crossed and am hoping for a better working environment between pilots and ATC.

We are all going to work every day like it or not. A cheerful controller who has a smidgen of patience with dumb pilots makes all the difference to that day.

The other option is to go the English way and keep everything totally professional with the same tone of voice no matter what... Standard phraseology at all times. It works.

The US banter can be fun too though...

Tossing the toys out of the pram???

Absolutely!!!