PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How hot are Hot brakes
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2005, 11:28
Hudson

Jambo B. Interesting comment by your Boeing test pilot in which he implies that a 110 knot abort at 50 tonnes is a low energy event and nothing to worry about.

He is right, of course. But it makes me wonder why Boeing select 80 knots as the upper limit speed for an abort based purely on a Master caution light appearing, when clearly a higher speed such as 100 knots might be equally as safe.

It has always concerned me that a engine overheat light appearing during the take off run at (say) 100 knots and well below V1 of any sort, is not a valid reason to abort - yet it is if it occurs below 80 knots.

An engine overheat light can also precede a fire warning and I think it would surely be prudent, if faced with an engine overheat, to consider aborting it it came on say 20 knots below V1. It is just that 80 knots seems rather low in view of the Boeing test pilot's remark on low energy?

I understand that some B737 operators use 100 knots as the upper limit for an abort based on a Master Caution light alert. I think the A320 uses 100 knots, too?

Or is it possible that Boeing decided to kill two birds with one stone as it were, by having the normal 80 knot airspeed check as the dividing line for a Master Cautions go/stop? As usual, Boeing don't give reasons - it lets you fight it out among personal opinions. Fat lot of good that is.