PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2005, 09:33
Chequeredflag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The HI on both of the Warriors I'm learning on seem to need constant adjustment to keep them in line with the compass. Don't know why, but at least it is very much part of the checklist!

Had a very interesting morning yeaterday. Arrived at School and sat the Human Perf. exam - easy pass (wish they were all as easy as that one!!)

We then set to thinking about the lesson. The weather was not great, low cloud, not much viz etc. ATIS however gave base of 1500', and 7 km viz, so for circuits we were within limits. Took off on 09, with 10kt wind from 030, great, but as we climbed through 700', we flew straight into a snow shower! The viz dropped to zero, with the snow "flying" past the plane, though it was still possible to see the ground. Turning onto the downwind leg, I called "Downwind" to ATC, and was told we were number three, and to orbit until further notice. Great!! So, round and round we went, expecting HWMBO to take over, but as I was seeming to cope OK, I was left on the controls. I expected to get disorientated very quickly, but it did not happen - I was flying on the instruments, and, being able to (just) see the ground, kept an awareness of my position. I honestly believe that all the hours I've spent "flying" in zero viz on FS 2002 in the study paid off!! The only problem I had was maintaining height in the turns and found with no horizon, I was slowly porpoising up 50/70' and down a similar amount. I think that problem was as much as anything caused by watching the "sluggish" VSI rather than the Altimiter. I guess we were held in orbit for 5/10 minutes, but it seemed like an eternity - it was a pretty high workload, but very satisfying! As were were called to final, the snow began to clear, and the PAPI's shined brightly to identify the runway before it was actually insight - as we approached on finals, the snow cleared, and we were cleared for a touch and go. However, as soon as we were around 700' it all stared again!!. This time we were only held for one orbit (an MD80 was also conduting circuits), when, having had enough, we landed.

All in all, great experience, though I would not have wanted to do it without the calm reassurance of the boss sat next to me!!

My landings were s**t again, flaring too soon as usual - I am dissapointed that I have not mastered the landings properly. They get us down, but they are not at all pretty!! The boss tells me to be patient and it will come. I suppose all my circuits flown so far have been in strong crosswinds or in conditions like yesterday, which have not been helpful to learning the basics of a good landing, so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!