PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Managed Path/RAFCARS
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2005, 09:13
BEagle

Received 319 Likes on 115 Posts
Hmm, although there are quite a few factual errors in your post, buoy15, I certainly agree that the current military pilot accreditation scheme is sufficiently generous in itself and that there should be NO Service-sourced financial assistance provided for those choosing to take advantage of it.

And £2000 is way over the top! A rough estimate:

JAA Class 1 - less than £100 if done by a RAF quack who is also a CAA-approved AME.

Air Law exam - £55

IR Skill Test fee - £637

ATPL issue fee - £194

Total - less than £1000. Mine cost me around £800 because I'd already passed Air Law 10 years earlier and held a JAA Class 2 medical. And I received not one penny of financial assistance from the Service.

And, of course, the 3 hrs flight time would cover 2, possibly 3 civil IRs. Certainly not 7! It would come out of the sqn's routine CT allowance, and therefore the perceived cost is nihil ad rem. All the pilots would have been doing would have been totally normal - with the addition of an interested observer from the CAA.

You could, of course, use your ELC privileges to assist with PPL training. Then build up the total you need to start a modular CPL course, then the IR, then MCC etc.

So I agree that all available funds should be made available for those wishing to use ELC benefits towards a Pilots' Licence - but not for those who already receive substantial benefit from the recruiting and retention incentive of the military pilot accreditation scheme.

And BigginAgain, the original intention was that similar accreditation schemes would be introduced for ATCOs (not sure about FCs) - perhaps you should pursue your branch sponsor on that issue? It was a clear HMG initiative that full civilian recognition should be granted for qualifications gained in the Services in ALL branches.