PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Essential Tool of the Trade
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2005, 01:31
Lon More

More than just an ATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with Scott on this; there are millions of €,$, or whatever ,spent on developing the system and then scrimped on one of the most important tools a controller uses.
The problem is, IMHO, that much of this hardware is chosen by non-ops staff.I know that at Maastricht, many moons ago, the Minilite was selected because office workers found it the most comfortable.
I quite liked the Minilite although it tended to pull out clumps of hair and was not really compatible with glasses.

Some years ago I was tasked to select a mouse for the ODS at Maastricht. As a number pf the candidates were all found equal by ops.staff I devised the following test. This entailed running the mouse through a puddle of coffee then through the contents of an ashtray. Those that passed the initial selection were then placed on the floor and an AIP was dropped onto them several times. Survivors of this were then subjected to having the cable tugged violently. I ended up with one survivor and duly recommended it.
What happened? The cheapest - which had not even made it past the initial stage - was selected.