PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEMS - Regulations and saving life
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2005, 18:25
Mars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil 49:

I think it is a part of the mindset that all helicopter operations are conducted under Part 135; this implies that they can be more exposed to risk. There is no question in my mind that helicopters should be operated under Part 135 I merely question whether that should mean a lower safety level - rather than a more flexible regulation. I'm not quite sure what "weeding out by their peers means" - but you are quite correct that there is a selection for twin engine command that is absent from 'single engine single pilot' operations. It is rather like the threads on training with the Robinson which reminds me of the Irish saying - if you want to go to there you shouldn't start from here.

SASSless:

The duty of care in the GOM should be more clearly focussed upon the Oil Industry as they have the means to alter the balance. You would be correct that flying at night in a single outside the survival time without some mitigating safety equipment should be frowned upon if that were the case - my understanding is that singles at night in the GOM is the exception rather than the rule (and, as oil company policy changes, becoming more so). We might also wish to bring to their attention that flying in adverse weather in singles also increases substantially the risk as some accidents in the last two years have shown.