PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trans Tasman.Who is making Money?
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2005, 09:55
Eastwest Loco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have only experienced 3 rides on EK, and all in J class. One paid for, and one sort of via a managers retreat (read pissup with Boeing 777 Medivac afterward). 4 nights on Pacific Sky is baaaaaad for the liver.

Personally, I found the flights faultless apart from Rammadan induced lack of food disorientation on a SIN MEL leg, and that only applied to one side of the J Class section as the other side was operated by 2 Pommy ladies.

I found the 777 totally enjoyable and solid feeling, the catering excellent and the crew attitude generally happy and very friendly.

On some routes, they are killing a bug with a nuclear weapon using an A345 on trans Tasman, but obviously the dollars are there for cargo. It is also very nice to pull 9% commission on EK rather than 5% on NZ (a few extra bucks are picked up on flown revenue overrides, so NZ is a definite option still) and 1% (thanks for that Geoff you dropkick) on QF, and know your passenger will be treated well during their shark patrol service. Also nice to know you can book them on a big solid modern aeroplane, not a superannuated biscuit bomber from Jetconnect.

Despite selling lots of NZ over the years, I have yet to experience their service level and/or equipment. I have had no negative feedback from those that I have booked with them, apart from a brain fart when the lovely and extremely efficient Mrs Sue from Air NZ Melbourne was away on extended leave due to tragic circumstances.

The guts of this is that we have no damned idea where to turn these days, but how anyone makes money on the Tasman is a complete mystery to me. Maybe the deepest pockets will prevail. I think we know who has them too.

Best all.

EWL