PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2005, 08:02
MyData
Fixed+Rotary (aircraft, not washing lines)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mazzy, Blinks, Aussie Andy et. al.

Thanks for all these great posts. As a PPL student it is very helpful to read how others are doing and the thinks to look out for. I'm especially interested in the comments about the DI settings. I've read all about FREDA checks and ensuring the DI and the Magnetic Compass align every few minutes but I've never had to make an adjustment.

The PA28 I fly in has an HSI - Horizontal Situation Indicator which is a combination of 2 cockpit instruments, a directional gyro (compass) and radio navigation indications. According to my instructor the HSI has its own compasses installed somewhere in the PA28 and is really quite accurate and self adjusting. So I do a FREHA check every few minutes and just ensure that the HSI and Compass align. Reading Mazzy's post though will stick with me in future so that if I'm flying with a DI I'll be aware that they can deviate over time.

On the setting of the QNH, when I'm doing my FREHA/FREDA checks I use the A check to check the altimeter - not only am I flying at the right altitude, but is the QNH set correctly. What I mean to say is that I make it a *two* point check deliberately and speak out loud what I'm doing. My own personal learning style is to understand the why and not just the what. Thinking of altimeters makes me think of pressure settings so the QNH setting automatically becomes part of the check (if that makes sense?)

Mazzy - I'm flying out of Leeds / Bradford. Do most of my circuits at Gamston, Full Sutton and Sandtoft. Am just waiting for a still day to get my solo out of the way - no flying for a month now :-(, then I'll be onto nav and the instructor would want us to get over to your side of the Pennines to get some different scenery and to navigate over the featureless-ish tops of the Pennines. It will be interesting to fly around the places you've described to date. The aerobatics sounded like fun too!

MyData