PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail Rotor Problems
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2005, 06:18
John Eacott

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Arrow

I guess the original question "in forward flight" has morphed into a general TR failure discussion. Whenever possible, practice, practice, and if you can, practice. Two I've had were both my fault, and instinctive reaction got us out in one (relative) piece on both occassions.

Low level filming in a 206L, I got distracted and hooked a wire under the toe of the left skid. The Mayday was instinctive, the decision to pull power to break the wire was the only solution (we were hanging nose down in our straps by then, with full aft cyclic), and I have no recollection of rolling off the throttle when the wire broke and I cut the tail off with the rotors. But it must have been instinctive, because we didn't spin

We were lucky enough to come down upright, but I snapped the collective trying for that last degree of blade pitch, and the back does still hurt now and then

The other was in the BK117, at night, backed into a tree in a high hover. The decision to dump the collective was done without thinking, and got us out with a slightly spread set of crosstubes, rather than rolled up in a ball.

No obvious training is going to account for every eventuality, but lots of practise (or mental preparation) will go a long way to making the right move "in extremis", the correct move