PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learning to hover!
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2005, 20:05
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Around about 12 hours for me - and then, as my personal title suggests, I couldn't hover AND talk at the same time. No sounds would come from my mouth as I really was using 100% of my mental capacity. SOME might find that unbelievable but 'strue !

Everyone can learn to hover and once you've learnt, you'll not forget. Your instructor is probably saying to you, "small inputs, small inputs." What I found hard to grasp was exactly how small. Very small! The hovering came together for me, when I stopped bloody well fiddling with the cyclic and relaxed!

However, when it's windy, then it's more like bringing an unruly horse back under control!

You will get it, don't worry. Above all, don't turn it into a competition to try to beat others. "I did it in X hours, he did it in Y" . One area that you find difficult, someone else can find easy and VICE VERSA. Even if it takes you 15-20 hours (and I'm sure it won't), you are still getting air/flying experience and once you've got the hang of it the other lessons will progress in leaps and bounds.

Cheers

Whirlygig

PS - I also did the Pilotwolf thing and nearly gave up but got drunk instead