PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dangers of flying in snow
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2005, 19:50
average bloke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So your advice seems to be that it's unsafe to fly through any cumuliform cloud under any circumstances, at any temperature, just in case you encounter something nasty which happens to be at a different temperature?
No. If you read the title of the thread it refers to flying in snow. My point is that you should not assume it will not stick, as some people seem to think, and that you should treat it as ice. This is also the opinion of the CAA. If icing conditions exist, then you should not fly in them deliberately unless the plane is certified to do so. Period.

mindless avoidance based on something rote learned from a book.
I fly for a living.

It's my firm belief that your attitude will keep you alive rather longer than an approach that avoids any exploration of hazards
Bookworm, IMHO flying is about first of all ensuring the safety of people on the ground, your passengers, and finally yourself. If you can 'explore hazards' whilst doing this then you have my support.

Also, if planning to fly in IMC, and icing conditions are possible, you should ensure you can be out of them at or above your MSA. This can prove tricky when freezing levels are low or on the ground.

I love flying VFR/IFR in all sorts of weather, but ice is a killer and should be treated with the utmost respect.