PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Altitude restrictions
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2000, 03:27
TinPusher

It never ceases to amaze me that when most of the worlds procedures are based on the same ICAO recommendations there is still so much conflict of opinion on matters that are really very important.

In Sink Rates original scenario a published (standard) restriction is reiterated by ATC ie Be level FL180 by ABCDE.ie He/she wants you to comply. Subsequent descent to FL140 is NOT a restriction, it is issued to prevent the acft leveling at FL180 when there is no need to do so. In my opinion the original restriction still applies!

Where the 'Be level FL180' is followed by a further restriction, as in gaga1976's scenario, where a further restriction is added then the original restriction is cancelled unless ATC reiterate.

Pprune radar, I agree that level restrictions on STARS are not cleared levels, however if cleared levels are issued that will enable the flight to comply with the STAR profiles (as they should 90% of the time or there is little point in having STARS) then it should be a valid expectation that the flight will comply unless they are specifically cancelled, in the same way that speed restrictions and max entry levels to holding patterns should be complied with unless ATC has issued a specific clearance to disregard what are standard procedures.

[This message has been edited by TinPusher (edited 03 September 2000).]