PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COMM FAILURE
Thread: COMM FAILURE
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2001, 20:10
fernando

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks to all for your opinions.

If you have a transponder failure TCAS is gone. and if you have a complete comm failure, it is most likely that you have to deal with an even more serious emergency than the VHF,(anyway, it is always nice to tell somebody what you are doing.)

Having a complete comm failure is rare to occur, but ICAO has specified some rules about this emergency and many countries have adopted them but with some differences. the uk comm failure procedures are complex and some times questionable (as somedoby said: above FL 245¿? all the sky is controlled).

I think there arent many "suitable aerodromes" in the south of england for that type of emergency and probably the most suitable is your destitation. (this is my point of view) just imagine your are at the aerodrome tower ANYWHERE and you spot an aircraft on final, What atc will do shout louder in the mic wont do much good. obviously all ATC centers will have been alerted, ¿ALL?

But again, I will like to know what will you do.
will a pilot wander across europe without a "say again frequency"?
will ATC across europe will be pleased to have a pilot (most likely 2 of them) without a clue of where they are, doing and going?

It might all be too confusing, in that case dont worry about it, the chances of happening are very, very little.
But, in that case why publish all those procedures?

gracias a tod@s