PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin lighting at night...
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2005, 14:34
Approaching Minimums

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxiing out of Narita recently, which is a mass of lighs anyway, we could hardly see the Jumbos from various American carriers (presume it would be the same for other airlines without lights on, just only happened to see American Carriers taxiing),
This is exactly the same reason why I haven't ever understod why many American carriers have uninstalled their logo lights or they don't use those at all if they are fitted. Even logo lights aren't mandatory it is much easier to reconize the aircraft on the ground if they use those lights. I know they use reduced maintenance costs as an excuse but that sounds very ridiculous for me...

What comes to dimming of cabin lights, I guess it is done because of the safety and give better view for the passengers. Approaching big city at night is very spectacular sight if cabin lights are dimmed... Anyone who has flown to Mexico City at night definitely knows what I'm talking about!

Isn't cabin lights also dimmed/turned off to reduce possible fire risk from broken lamps in case of emergency landing?

Best Regards,
Approaching Minimums