PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airprox: Harrier vs. Air Ambulance (again!)
Old 23rd Feb 2005, 13:16
2STROPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BH Glad you have changed the misleading tag line for this post. You are obviously a sensationalist.

You may or may not be a professional but you should be aware that professional aviators take great interest in all accidents and incidents that occur to other people and hope to benefit from their misfortune. By sensationalizing your post you bring nothing to the debate.

The potential for mid-air collisions is high in our crowded airspace. It is incumbent on all pilots to minimise the risk to themselves. Unless it is essential for their flight then it is not sensible to cruise in the 1000- ground level band. This is even stated on the CAA 500,000 chart.

I have no personal knowledge of this incident but it was perhaps predictable. Siting an air ambulance base on the edge of a HIRTA (Delford) which is a choke point in the LFS will mean that there will always be a potential conflict with a fast jet avoiding the HIRTA.

When I fly VFR in the UK I always try and be above 1500agl so that I am sky lined and therefore much easier to see by fast moving traffic.

We expect the RAF to defend us and we should expect them to have realistic training. If we want max protection for our air ambulance sites then base them on airfields with ATZs

2S