PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2005, 11:24
Chequeredflag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my last two lessons plagued with strong winds. Last week, we could not do circuit work at east Mids due to a 737 doing the same thing (and for some reason he got priority - don't they know who I am?!). We waited for him to touch and go in pretty strong crosswind conditions before clearance to take off was given, but whoever was flying it did not do a very good job. My instructor gave a loud exclamation as it very nearly put a wing tip onto the runway!!

We were cleared to take off, and we went to Nottingham airfield, doing four T & G's on their runway 27, much narrower and shorter than East Mids!! Wind was around 300 degrees, at 18 knots, gusting to 26. It was very bumpy, the Warrior being blown around all over the place. Nevertheless, my approaches were OK, height and speed etc, though the landings were something else. Nevertheless I did land OK(!), albeit with some coaching as I did so. The landing back at E.Mids was also subject to a strong crosswind, but went OK (when can I get some quiet days to practice the art of landing?)

Yesterday, We were in the circuits at East mids again, but only managed 40 minutes in between heavy snow showers. It was VERY turbulant, and yet again strong crosswinds, gusting regularly to 26 knots. At one point, turning onto base leg, the little Warrior seemed reluctant to obey my commands for (it seemed) several seconds, due to "forces" pushing in the opposite direction!! After 3 circuits (with very crabbed approaches, and considerable use of rudder and aileron to get straight before touch down), the next band of snow was almost on us , so we landed and taxied back to the school - the snow hit just as we shut down, and was a complete "whiteout" - certainly would not want to be flying in that sort of stuff.

Whilst these windy and turbulant conditions are very good experience, I hope to have some smoother flying soon, so that I can move on a bit in the syllabus. Surely a nice day on Friday is not too much to ask?? (looking at the forcast, I don't think I'm going to get it!)