PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dangers of flying in snow
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2005, 09:12
Aussie Andy
PPruNaholic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day Mosspigs,
must be icing conditions for which the PA28 isn't cleared
Thanks for your concern, but in fact it wasn't icing conditions: no ice formed on the airframe whatsoever.

The CFI, who was flying with me, commented that "because it's snow it's already frozen and it won't stick": all I can say is that it did not stick! I had no problem at all maintaining speed/height etc. (any problems experienced were merely a function of my tiny brain being slightly overwhelmed by the whole experience!).

But my experience in snow is just this one flight, so I bow to others who have said that there are circumstances in which snow will stick and cause ice to form on the airframe.

It was a great experience for me however. The lesson learned that day was that, although I was happy with how I did, I am absolutely sure that as a low hrs PPL who is unlikely to fly in IMC more than once a month at the very best, I would never - ever - want to intentionally put myself into a situation like that again without a very experienced person who is highly current sat next to me in the r.h. seat!

Great thread by the way TopCat!

Andy