PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Death of the Diesel?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2005, 08:37
deice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mmmm, yes, except they want lots of fuel. The main problem with rotarys seems to be that fact and the problem of keeping them sealed properly over time (the rotor that is).

Comparing "diesel" (i.e. the Thielert) to the Rotax 912 is not apples to apples. The Rotax only puts out 100hp and as such is comparable to a Lycoming O-200 which incidentally has almost the same FF for the same power... (That's just plain thermodynamics I guess) So much for evolution... Benefits are lower wieght (?) and liquid cooling among other modern design techniques which should have been applied to all our ancient material ages ago.

What's really interesting is the amount of thrust from a certain power/prop combo. The Thielert can replace the Lyc320 of a PA28 or C172 and produce the same or better thrust (certainly at altitude due to Turbo) and also at the same weight. But, it adds lower FF, single lever power, optimized thrust throuh VP-prop etc. It is nothing short of a revolution.

Could the same have been done with a Avgas engine? Most certainly. And it will come. The question is if there will be fuel for it?
Personally I'd love the new Thielert V8 in our Commander 114, if not for power just for the sound! At 310 hp and Turbo it would make it go like stink!