PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The great IR debate
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2005, 04:09
Lightning_Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What piston single will come down the ILS at 100kts?
What piston single can fly IMC in training legally?
What piston single has SAS or an autopilot so you can manage taking down the weather etc.
What single will let you practise an IMC engine failure on the go-around and on finals during either an NDB approach or an ILS approach?

I still can't see what difference it makes?

Why do you need to fly the ILS at 100kts?
Why do you need to be in IMC to train? Whats wrong with the hood and the blackouts?
Why worry about having a SAS when your only training, use the instructor/examiner as autopilot.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I still cant see how using a twin IFR ship can change procedures or weather etc?

I'm rated as FAA IR, still had to do all the ILS, VOR, NDB, GPS approaches, holding intercepting and tracking etc.

Check-ride consisted of examiner pulling AI, HSI, GPS, DME all in one go, telling me (aswell as carrying out the usual manouvers) I had to hold due to airport problems, cleared me for FULL ILS approach (including a procedure turn) using only HSI needle, whiskey compass and marker beacons, then telling me we had lost radio communication.

After all is said and done, if (when I sat the check-ride) I had done this in a twin IR ship as apposed to a H269, would that have made me a better IFR pilot?? I'm not talking about experience, I mean pound for pound, fresh IR pilots???

Would the fact that (if) I had a twin rating, but still chose to do the IR in a H269 due to the fact I was paying for it myself make a difference?

At the end of the day, I still cannot see any real difference it makes!

Nothing further your honour.

LB