PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TSA clarification
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2005, 14:05
Billy M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSA clarification

Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone well versed in the intricacies of the TSA system can clear up the following for me...

I have an FAA PPL that hasn't been used for about 5 years so I'm off to California to do my BFR and then hire an aircraft for a couple of weeks. Of no relevance, I'm sure - I am a current JAA ATPL holder.

From all the TSA literature I've read, the answer (although not necessarily the current one) is that I am neither going to be doing flight training or recurrent training as defined by the TSA:

“Flight training” is defined in 49 CFR 1552.1(b) as “instruction received from a flight school in an aircraft or aircraft simulator.” TSA interprets this definition to include only that training that a candidate could use toward a new airman’s certificate or rating.

“Recurrent training” is defined in 49 CFR 1552.1(b) as “periodic training required under 14 CFR part 61, 121, 125, 135, or Subpart K of part 91.” TSA interprets this definition to not include any flight review, proficiency check, or other check whose purpose is to review rules, maneuvers, or procedures, or to demonstrate a pilot’s existing skills on aircraft with a maximum certificated takeoff weight (MTOW) of 12,500 pounds or less, such as the flight review required under 14 CFR 61.56 or the recent flight experience requirements in 14 CFR 61.57.

My question is, assuming I'm correct in saying that I am carrying out no training as outlined above, do I need to register with the TSA, and if so, as what category......?

Bit of a complicated one as far as I can see, any help much appreciated.